Saturday, March 7, 2009

*fanfare* GIDEON'S FIRST HAIRCUT 2/26/09 *fanfare*

BEFORE








DURING









AFTER





I found the whole thing really traumatic and I cried. I was convinced for a couple of days that it was a horrible mistake. I still miss my baby's beautiful ringlets and his crazy rock god hair. It was just so him.

I took him to one of those kids' hair cutting places even though that's way not our style, because I wanted it to be a pleasant experience for him, but in retrospect, I think he would have been just as happy to have his hair cut at a salon, or a barber shop, or by me.
Next time I don't think we'll go the kids' joint route unless he is dead set on it.
They just sat him in this little toy car thing and put on Finding Nemo to keep him sedate. There was just something kind of weird about it... I don't know, I guess I just don't believe in anesthetizing your children with flickering lights for any purpose.

I wanted it to still be kind of longish, in a shag over his ears and maybe even touching his collar, but he wanted it short and spiky.
I took in a picture that I felt was a compromise, a style that could be fluffed up into spikes or allowed to lie flat and would look good both ways.
In the end it didn't matter what we wanted, though, 'cause she looked at my picture and said she understood, then proceeded to bang out Generic Little Boy Haircut #3, or whatever. I'm not thrilled with the haircut (independent of my feelings about the whole thing, which are that I miss his beautiful hair and how much it matched his wild, free, individualistic personality), but what the heck, the kid would be freaking adorable in a potato sack. There is no haircut so bad it could mar his ethereal beauty.
He's unbelievably beautiful, and I can't think of a single thing you could possibly do to him that would change that.

He does look really, really cute with his hair cut, I can't deny.

No comments:

Om Mani Padme Hum